Peter Woodthorpe (voice of Pigsy in Monkey) passed away on 12th Aug
Saiyuuki
2004-08-14 10:45:38 UTC
Taken from http://www.monkeyheaven.com/

Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.

Here's the news as I received it from Fabulous Films on Friday 13th
August 2004:
---
This morning I was called by Peter Woodthorpes agent Rosie who let me
know Peter passed away last night (12th August) aged 72. Peter had not
been too well for a while and he had bravely fought on to complete the
dubbing of the lost 13 episodes of Monkey, where he so famously was
the voice of Pigsy. Peter had the last session ever on this project,
which was less than a month ago. I was fortunate enough to have to
drive him back to his Oxfordshire home that day. He was an extremely
funny and extremely friendly chap who had had quite an illustrious
career on stage, screen, televison and radio. I asked Peter if he was
enjoying living in the country and enjoying his retirement. He said he
was but he didn't do much nowadays. He said he spent most of the time
reading.
---
JNugent
2004-08-14 11:24:59 UTC
Post by Saiyuuki
Taken from http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.
He also famously provided the voice of Gollum for the BBC Radio 4 serial of
"Lord Of The Rings".

---
Hognoxious
2004-08-14 19:38:25 UTC
Post by Saiyuuki
Taken from http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.
Bums! Pigsy was my hero!

Maybe we'll get a repeat. We can hope.
Saiyuuki
2004-08-15 14:29:15 UTC
Post by Hognoxious
Post by Saiyuuki
Taken from http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.
Bums! Pigsy was my hero!
Maybe we'll get a repeat. We can hope.
Channel 4 repeated the 39 originally English-dubbed Monkey episodes
between 2003 and 2004, and the plan is that they'll screen the newly
dubbed 13 lost Monkey episodes (i.e. these were not included in the 39
that have been previously screened) sometime in autumn 2004 (see
http://www.monkeyheaven.com/tvguide_ukfreetoair.html for details) - no
dates have yet been announced.
Bob
2004-08-15 23:33:35 UTC
Post by Saiyuuki
Post by Hognoxious
Post by Saiyuuki
Taken from http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.
Bums! Pigsy was my hero!
Maybe we'll get a repeat. We can hope.
Channel 4 repeated the 39 originally English-dubbed Monkey episodes
between 2003 and 2004, and the plan is that they'll screen the newly
dubbed 13 lost Monkey episodes (i.e. these were not included in the 39
that have been previously screened) sometime in autumn 2004 (see
http://www.monkeyheaven.com/tvguide_ukfreetoair.html for details) - no
dates have yet been announced.
oh how sad to hear that. He was the most wonderful Gollum on the BBC Radio
4 adaptation. Far better than Andy Serkis.

Bob
Uthur
2004-08-16 15:13:14 UTC
Post by Saiyuuki
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English voice
of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular in the UK,
Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12 August 2004,
less than a month after finishing work on the 13 unseen Monkey
episodes.
That's really sad. He did amazing work in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings and
the BBC
radio version. He never got the recognition he deserved.

Uthur.
Gordon Davie
2004-08-16 19:25:21 UTC
Post by Uthur
Post by Saiyuuki
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English
voice of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular
in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12
August 2004, less than a month after finishing work on the 13
unseen Monkey episodes.
That's really sad. He did amazing work in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings
and the BBC radio version. He never got the recognition he deserved.
I've been trying to place him ever since I heard this. It's sad that most
people will probably remember him as Del and Rodney's dad in OF&H.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"
Jerry Kohl
2004-08-16 21:33:56 UTC
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Uthur
Post by Saiyuuki
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English
voice of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular
in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12
August 2004, less than a month after finishing work on the 13
unseen Monkey episodes.
That's really sad. He did amazing work in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings
and the BBC radio version. He never got the recognition he deserved.
I've been trying to place him ever since I heard this. It's sad that most
people will probably remember him as Del and Rodney's dad in OF&H.
In just that one episode from Christmas 1983? I should have thought
many more people would know him from the role of Max, the phlegmatic
pathologist in Chief Inspector Morse.

--
Jerry Kohl <***@comcast.net>
"Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."
Gordon Davie
2004-08-17 19:12:20 UTC
Post by Jerry Kohl
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Uthur
Post by Saiyuuki
Peter Woodthorpe, the actor who so famously dubbed the English
voice of Pigsy in the cult Japanese TV show Monkey, very popular
in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, passed away on Thursday 12
August 2004, less than a month after finishing work on the 13
unseen Monkey episodes.
That's really sad. He did amazing work in Bakshi's Lord of the
Rings and the BBC radio version. He never got the recognition he
deserved.
I've been trying to place him ever since I heard this. It's sad that
most people will probably remember him as Del and Rodney's dad in
OF&H.
In just that one episode from Christmas 1983?
Which has been repeated several dozen times since.
Post by Jerry Kohl
I should have thought
many more people would know him from the role of Max, the phlegmatic
pathologist in Chief Inspector Morse.
Never watched it, but you may well be right.

Jerry Kohl
2004-08-17 20:52:48 UTC
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Jerry Kohl
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Jerry Kohl
I should have thought
many more people would know him from the role of Max, the phlegmatic
pathologist in Chief Inspector Morse.
Never watched it, but you may well be right.
Oddly enough, I keep missing all those repeats of the 1983 OFAH, but
the CIMs are repeated, erm, re-Morselessly. Maybe I need to move
house.

Saiyuuki
2004-08-21 10:47:44 UTC
Post by Jerry Kohl
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Jerry Kohl
Post by Gordon Davie
Post by Jerry Kohl
I should have thought
many more people would know him from the role of Max, the phlegmatic
pathologist in Chief Inspector Morse.
Never watched it, but you may well be right.
Oddly enough, I keep missing all those repeats of the 1983 OFAH, but
the CIMs are repeated, erm, re-Morselessly. Maybe I need to move
house.
Incidentally - the 13 newly-dubbed unseen Monkey episodes (which Peter
Woodthorpe just recently finished work on) will be shown on Channel 4,
starting next month on Tuesday nights, after midnight, beginning on
Tuesday 7th September 2004 at approx 1am.